KJ Apa Height, Age, Girlfriend, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
|Full Name||Keneti James Fitzgerald Apa Vulture|
|Profession||Actor and Musician|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Wired - YouTube Height||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet inches- 6'
|Red 11 Model Management Body Measurements||- Chest: 39 inches
- Waist: 33 inches
- Biceps: 33 inches
|Debut||TV (New Zealand): Shortland Street (2013-15) as 'Kane Jenkins'
TV (American): Riverdale (2017) as 'Archibald "Archie" Andrews'
Film: A Dog's Purpose (2017) as 'Teenage Ethan Montgomery'
|Date of Birth||June 17, 1997 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||24 Years|
|Birthplace||Waitakere Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand|
|Hometown||Auckland, New Zealand|
|School||King's College, Auckland, New Zealand|
|Educational Qualification||High School Graduation Wired - YouTube|
|Religion/Religious Views||Christianity Los Angeles Times|
|Ethnicity/Race||Samoan and European New Zealander Samoa Observer|
|Tattoo(s)||• Left and right shoulder: Two Samoan that he received at the age of fifteen when his father became the chief of his village
• Right wrist: Bee placed between two branches of leaves with a flower, a tattoo tribute to his grandmother
• Right elbow: Val Halen tattoo
• Left forearm: 'VSR' and a couple tattoos
• Left chest:'Omnia Vincit Amor' (meaning love conquers all)
• Back: few words
• Right Wrist: a tattoo
• Right Bicep: Arrowhead tattoo
• Left Forearm: A line of arrowhead running up the forearm
|Controversies||• In June 2020, accusations of sexual harassment were laid on Apa and other Riverdale cast members (Cole Sprouse, Lillie Reinhart, and Vanessa Morgan) via a Twitter account named Tasha. Tasha, in her Twitter post, shared screenshots of sexual assault allegations by other people. After her controversial post, she backed down and tweeted,
"Do you see how easy it is to lie and you guys will believe it? Vanessa Morgan and KJ Apa didn't do jack shit. You will believe anything."
After the tweet went viral, Sprouse and Reinhart dismissed the allegations against them and other Riverdale actors. Cole Sprouse also stated that he would take the matter seriously and decide on taking actions against the culprit. The American actress Camila Mendes also extended her support to the Riverdale cast involved in the case. The New Zealand Herald
• In June 2020, after the unjust death of George Floyd, the Black Lives Matter movement began catching pace. Everyone including Hollywood stars, supported the movement, and Apa also posted a black square with the hashtag '#blackouttuesday,' which was a viral campaign part of the BLM movement. However, the American comedian Elijah Daniel, in his tweet, accused Apa of not talking more about the issue, as he highlighted Apa's 'The Hate U Give' film (2018) (which was based on the issue raised in BLM movement). Elijah wrote,
"I love that movie but i do have a question. If KJ was the co-star of that movie why is he so silent? He has such a massive young audience and got paid to be in a movie about police brutality and ... posted a black square?"
In his response to the accusations, Apa wrote,
"I don’t need to post about my opinions and beliefs in order for them to be real to me. I support black lives - but I don’t feel it’s necessary to prove to people I do by posting my attendance at these protests."
The same day, Apa posted an Instagram story in which he featured a rap of rapper Tupac Shakur in 1993. USA Today The video showed the rapper saying,
"White folks see us as thugs. I don't care if you think you a lawyer, if you a man, if you an African American, if you whatever the (expletive) you think you are, we thugs and (expletives) to these (expletives)."
• In 2018, when an Instagram user asked the rugby player Israel Folau, 'What was God's plan for gay people?,' on his Instagram account, Israel replied,
"HELL..unless they repent of their sins and turn to God."
Being a Christian, KJ did not feel good about Israel's comment, and he wrote to him,
"@izzyfolau Very disappointing comments... Our role as Christians is to LOVE not Judge. What gives you the right to condemn? Are you perfect? Sit down."
Apa received a lot of support from people after his response to Israel. Teen Vogue
• In 2017, KJ Apa liked a fat-shaming post on Instagram, which read,
"Making fun of fat people is the only thing that's gonna stop those useless bags of sh*t dying a fat early death."
This outraged many people, including his fans, who showed their disappointment by sharing their experiences of fat-shaming. The New Zealand Herald
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Clara Berry (since 2020)
|Children||Son- Sasha Vai Keneti Apa (born on September 23, 2021; with Clara Berry)|
|Parents||Father- Tupa'i Keneti Apa (Samoan and a matai (chief) of his village, Moata'a, in Samoa)
Mother- Tessa Apa (née Callander) (European New Zealander)
|Siblings||Sister(s)- Timena Apa (elder) and Ari Apa (elder)
|Actor(s)||Dwayne Johnson, Mark Wahlberg, John Cena, Channing Tatum|
|Actress(es)||Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson|
|Film(s)||How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003), Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008), Fool's Gold (2008), Fury (2014), Dunkirk (2017)|
|TV Show(s)||Top Gear (2012), Friends (1994), Ted Lasso (2020)|
|Band(s)||Kool & The Gang, Pearl Jam|
|Musician(s)||Eddie Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan|
|Album(s)||'The Nightfly Studio' by Donald Fagen, 'Couldn't Stand the Weather' by Double Trouble and Stevie Ray Vaughan, 'Don't Be Cruel' by Bobby Brown, 'In Rainbows' by Radiohead, '(What's the Story) Morning Glory?' by Oasis, 'Definitely Maybe' by Oasis|
|Assets/Properties||He bought a house in Nichols Canyon, Los Angeles, California, in 2020. Los Angeles Times|
|Salary||$40,000 per episode of Riverdale Variety|
Some Lesser Known Facts About KJ Apa
- KJ Apa is a New Zealand actor and musician who is known for portraying ‘Archie Andrews’ in the American television series ‘Riverdale’ (2017).
- Michael Jones, the former rugby union player and coach, is KJ Apa’s paternal uncle.
- In an interview, while talking about Samoan culture, Apa said,
I’ve got hundreds of family on my dad’s side that live in Samoa and in New Zealand. I’ve just been surrounded by the culture ever since I was a kid. I actually used to speak Samoan, but me and my sisters all kind of lost it. We go there at least once a year to see family.”
- At the age of twelve, he started to play the guitar after seeing one of his friends’ brothers performing ‘Hotel California’ by Eagles. He then went to buy a $200 red-colored Ashton guitar. Apa and his mother painted white strips on the guitar to make it look like his idol Eddie Van Halen’s guitar. His love for guitar is such that he went to audition for Riverdale with his guitar.
- At the age of fourteen, he released his first solo instrumental album.
- One of his sisters was a model. At age thirteen, his mother put him in his sister’s modeling agency. However, he only took work from the company at the age of sixteen when they offered him to act in a soap opera. The series was ‘Shortland Street.’
- After making his debut with the New Zealand television series ‘Shortland Street,’ which was broadcast on TVNZ 2, Apa was seen playing ‘Jack’ in the New Zealand TV series ‘The Cul de Sac’ (2016).
- At the age of eighteen, he came to Los Angeles for the first time to audition for a movie called ‘A Dog’s Purpose.’ He bagged the movie and decided to shift to Los Angeles permanently. In an interview, he said that he decided to leave New Zealand because of Tall Poppy Syndrome in New Zealand, which, according to him, is being talked down for standing out or for not doing what the majority does. In an interview, he explained,
Everyone wants to be normal, no one wants to stand out. Creativity and absurdity in New Zealand are almost not accepted. Everyone in New Zealand just wants to get by…like, if everything is going well the way we’re doing it, let’s just keep doing it that way, ya know what I mean? So as soon as you kind of break that consistency, people are like ‘what are you doing!?”
- In 2017, he made his American television debut with the CW Network TV series ‘Riverdale,’ which also became a breakthrough in his career. He portrayed the lead role of ‘Archibald “Archie” Andrews,’ a high school football player who also shows an interest in music. Apart from playing Archie, he portrayed the young ‘Frederick Arthur “Fred” Andrews,’ Archie’s father.
- For his portrayal of ‘Archie’ in Riverdale,’ Apa received the 2017 Saturn Award for Breakthrough Performance.
- In an interview, he gave his confession regarding his experience in ‘Riverdale,’ saying he felt like he was in jail. He added,
I felt so free coming from a show where I feel like I’m in jail a lot of the time. With this character, it was like, ‘Wow, this is what it’s like to really express myself in a natural way.’ I wasn’t covered in makeup or hair products. I had long hair and a beard. I just felt free.”
- In 2017, after KJ Apa was returning home from a 16-hour workday outside Vancouver, he slept while driving due to fatigue and encountered a late-night car crash. He was driving a 45-minute distance from home.
- In 2018, Apa was seen as ‘Chris’ in the American drama film ‘The Hate U Give,’ which revolves around a girl named ‘Starr Carter’ (played by American actress Amandla Stenberg), who learns to speak up and stand for what is right after seeing her friend ‘Kalil’ shot by a police officer.
- The next year, he was seen in the American film ‘The Last Summer’ in which he played the lead role of ‘Griffin Hourigan.’ The film chronicles the lives of newly graduated high school students as they handle their personal issues while enjoying their last summer before joining college.
- In 2020, Apa starred in the American film ‘I Still Believe’ in the lead role of ‘Jeremy Camp,’ who is a Christian musician. The film is about Jeremy’s journey of love and loss.
- In 2020, KJ Apa appeared in two more American films titled ‘Dead Reckoning’ and ‘Songbird.’
- KJ Apa’s accent has always been a most talked-about topic. In an interview, he said that he never faced struggle speaking in an American accent as it naturally came to him when he entered the States at age eighteen. He said,
I used to talk to myself as a kid in an American accent. Other than that, I don’t actually know why I can do it. It’s an easy accent to do, I think, in terms of accents. It’s harder for Americans to do a New Zealand accent than it is for a New Zealander to do an American accent. I think my musical side has always helped as well. I’ve always played by ear with guitar and piano, so I think that can also play into it as well. I’m able to hear and then mimic it or something.”
- In 2021, his album ‘Clocks’ was released. The album has ten songs, and he has also sung in it. In an Instagram post, he talked about his album and said,
CLOCKS. This music represents a piece of myself – my past, my future and my present. This is my living room journal. I lose all sense of time in this room making music. This is the place where I feel the most free. To me, letting go of these songs feels like letting you read my diary. Like standing naked in front of a crowd – it’s liberating to have nothing left to hide but also terrifying to share the thoughts & feelings from some of the most vulnerable parts of my life.”
- Whenever he is free, he likes exercising, playing the guitar, and spending time with his friends.
- Apart from other recreation activities, he also does Samoan art. His art pieces are very detailed and mostly take 2-4 or more years to make.
- Being an athletic person, he plays rugby and loves exercising. He has been exercising since the age of eleven when his father started his home workout sessions at the gym in the backyard of his house. In an interview, he talked about it and said,
I’ve exercised my whole life. My dad got me into it when I was young, so I’ve been training for a long time. It was something I didn’t have to think about going in [to the show], which was good.”
- In an interview, he confessed that acting was not his initial choice as he wished to either be a rugby player or a musician and do gigs in New Zealand bars.
- A dog lover, he is the owner of two pet dogs named Furby and Rocky.
- KJ Apa admires Dwayne Johnson and his happy demeanor. In an interview, he talked about it and said,
I was talking to my sister about this. I was like, ‘The guy’s always in a good mood from what I can see in his interviews. I wonder if he’s ever [not happy]. I wish I could be like that, always in a good mood.’ She was like, ‘That’s just not who you are.’ But I was wondering, if he’s really like that, that’s really sick. How can I be like that?”
- He is a fan of the video-sharing platform TikTok and uses TikTok with the username @FifiIsQueen. His TikTok bio reads,
There is only one queen and her name is Fifi”
Reportedly, Fifi is his alter ego. W Magazine
- In an interview, he revealed that his dream role was ‘Spider-Man/Peter Parker.’ He said,
Tom Holland, if you’re out there reading this, Apa thinks you’re doing great. But Spider-Man, that’s been his dream forever. He’s just the best superhero to me. When I was a kid, I just loved him.”
- During his initial days in ‘Riverdale,’ Apa and Rob Raco (who played Joaquin in the series) began having jam sessions together to relieve themselves from the stress of shooting. Soon, the group became two to four after Alex Carruthers and Josh Wyper joined the sessions. The four called themselves ‘Good Time Boys’ at the beginning. Good Time Boys mostly played at Vancouver bars. After their gig with the Teen Vogue party, they named themselves ‘Legend.’ Later, they changed their name again to ‘The Rumble Fish.’ The band also has an Instagram account, where they give updates on the band and upload videos of their jamming sessions. The band has also done shows in Washington, D.C.
- His girlfriend, Clara Berry, is four years older than him. In May 2021, the couple announced Berry’s pregnancy through their social media accounts, and in September 2021, Clara announced the birth of their child through an Instagram post.