Olivier Dassault Age, Death, Wife, Children, Family, Biography and More
|Profession||Politician, photographer and billionaire
|Famous For||Served as a professional IFR pilot and reserve commander for the French Air Force, where he set the highest speed records in the world
|Physical Stats & More|
|Hair Color||Salt and Pepper|
|Political Party||The Republicans|
|Political Journey||• Member of the Council of Paris (1977-1989)
• Elected for the Rassemblement pour la République (RPR) candidacy for the 1st district of Oise in 1988 (re-elected in 1993)
• Deputy for the 1st constituency of Oise in the candidacy of the Union for a Popular Movement (UMP) (2002, 2003 and 2007) and in the candidacy of the Republicans (LR) (2012 and 2017)
• Vice-president of the regional council of Picardy (1992)
• Parliamentary intergroup on communication (1995-96)
• Chairman of the French Partnership Club (since 1996)
• Chairman of the Entrepreneurs Committee for Republicans (2015)
|Awards, Honors, Achievements||• Knight of the Legion of Honour
• Officer of the National Order of Merit
• Officer of the Order of Arts and Letters
• Ranked 361st on the Forbes list of billionaires 2020
|Date of Birth||Friday, June 1, 1951
|Age (at the time of death)||69 Years|
|Date of Death||March 7 2021|
|Place of Death||Touques, France|
|Cause of Death||Helicopter Crash BBC
|School||École de l'air et de l'espace, Salon-de-Provence (1974)|
|Educational Qualification||Combat Engineering Officer and Pilot Forbes
DEA (Diploma of advanced studies equivalent to a master's degree) in mathematical decision-making sciences in 1976.
In 1980, he obtained his doctorate in computer science. Globe News Wire
|Hobbies||Hunting, playing golf, photography|
|Controversies||French media reports that Dassault Aviation paid 1 million euros to 'Middleman' - a man from India. The report states that the French aircraft manufacturer had paid the amount to Defsys Solutions for 50 models of the aircraft which were to be delivered as "gifts". ABP live|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||• 1989 with Carole Tranchant
• 2009 with Natasha Nikolajevic
|Wife/Spouse||• Carole Tranchant (professeur à l'Université de Moncton) Caroline C. Tranchant - LinkedIn
• Natacha Nikolajevic (Artiste française et propriétaire d'une galerie d'art)
|Children||Sons - 2
Rémi Dassault (with Natacha Nikolajevic) (born in 1995);
Thomas Dassault (with Natacha Nikolajevic) (Systems Engineer at Dassault Systèmes; born 2011)
Daughter - Helena Dassault (with Carole Tranchant) (Actress; born in 1990)
|Parents||Father - Serge Dassault (Businessman and politician)
Mother - Nicole Raffel (Chairman of Dassault Groupe)
|Siblings||Brother - Laurent Dassault (born July 7, 1953; 68 years old) (Businessman); Thierry Dassault (born March 26, 1957; 64 years old) (French billionaire investor and entrepreneur)
Sister - Marie-Hélène Habert-Dassault (Philanthropist, and was appointed head of the French aeronautics and defense empire built by Serge Dassault after the death of Olivier Dassault. ) France 24
|Photographers||Lucien Clergue, Sarah Moon, Helmut Newton, Bettina Rheims, Peter Beard, Olivier Föllmi, Ernst Haas|
|Books||‘L’œil écoute’ by Paul Claudel|
|Drinks||Russian Earl Gray tea|
|Assets/Properties||• Vacation home in Normandy in northern France i News
• Corales at the Puntacana Resort and Club in Punta Cana, with his wife The USA official
• An estate in Sologne, one of the most popular with authentic hunting owners
• Properties in Salbris and Les Châtelliers-Châteaumur in France
|Net Worth (approx.)||$4.7 billion Forbes
Note: As of September 2020, he was considered the 361st richest man in the world.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Olivier Dassault
- In his spare time, he enjoyed golfing, swimming, playing chess, reading, and attending art exhibitions.
- One of his hobbies included hunting, which he usually did in Sologne, a popular place among hunters.
- He was the heir to the family group of aerospace and software companies, Dassault Group, which began during World War I after his grandfather, Marcel, founded Dassault Aviation and sold propellers during the war; the group builds famous Rafale fighter planes. The family owns a cellar. In 2018, Forbes estimated the Dassault family at $22.6 billion.
- Olivier Dassault founded the Association d’Entraide, which supports the elderly and disadvantaged in the Oise department.
- In July 2002, he founded “Génération Entreprise” with Jean-Michel Fourgous and Hervé Novelli. Génération Entreprise is a parliamentary study group which he chaired from October 2012 until his death. Génération Entreprise is associated with 120 parliamentarians.
- He also chaired the friendship group of France and Saudi Arabia in the National Assembly during the 14th legislature.
- Talking about his style of photography and the inspiration behind his photos in an interview, he said:
Several great photographers have marked me. I am a colorist and yet I admire the masters of black and white: Ronis, Steichen, Doisneau. Brassaï’s passion for sidewalks and walls opened my eyes to street art. I am also touched by the way Lucien Clergue, Sarah Moon, and Helmut Newton have shown the body. There would be many other artists to mention such as Bettina Rheims, Peter Beard, Olivier Föllmi… Without forgetting Ernst Haas, particularly important for understanding my turn towards abstraction. I liked to treat faces like landscapes, with a bucolic bias! Architecture and my taste for modern art later led me to explore the beauty inherent in the visual harmony of building facades, balconies, or a row of chairs. The need to free myself from painting opened me up to a more abstract vision of everyday life. “
- As a teenager, he was quite shy and started photographing by clicking pictures of his sister and her girlfriends. Very quickly, he became attached to photography and decided to become a photographer. However, his parents wanted him to become an engineer and had other goals for him. They gave him the condition that he could do whatever he wanted, instead, he should first become an engineer. Talking about this in an interview, he said,
I was quite a shy teenager when I started out, and holding the camera helped me assert myself, both to the outside world – young girls! (Laughs). The camera has become my accomplice, my intimate, a part of me. I invested in photography with much more curiosity and taste than for other disciplines. I experimented in every way! Then the recognitions that followed, the sharing, when I started showing my images, only established the need I felt to create and express myself with this medium. It showed me that I was choosing the right path.
- Olivier Dassault is also the composer of the anthem of the National Assembly, giving the institution another face of its creative personality.
- The Dassaults also own France’s daily newspaper Le Figaro, vineyards, and a private aeronautic company.
His first work as a photographer was “Oniropolis” (1977).