Hildur Guðnadóttir Age,Boyfriend, Husband, Children, Family, Biography & More
Some Lesser Known Facts About Hildur Guðnadóttir
- Hildur Guðnadóttir was born into a family of musicians. She was inspired to play music by her parents. Her Father “Guðni Franzson” is a composer, a clarinet player and a music teacher. Mother “Ingveldur Guðrún Ólafsdóttir” is an Opera singer. Brother “Þórarinn Guðnason” is a Guitarist and Keyboardist in the Icelandic band “Agent Fresco.” And his husband “Sam Slater” is a Producer and a musician.
“Cello” and “percussion” are two of Hildur’s chief musical instruments. She elucidated “My mother decided cello for me, really early on, when she was pregnant with me, she was listening to a lot of Jacqueline Dupre, who’s very fiery and full of passion and strength. I think I was a tough fetus—she had a hard time when she was pregnant with me. She was certain the child she was carrying would be called Hildur, which means ‘war,’ and play the cello. So when it came to me choosing my instrument, she offered the cello. For a long time she said I chose it myself, but she just recently admitted that’s not entirely true.”
- Hildur Guðnadóttir started learning to play the cello at just 5 years of age. At the age of 10, she performed her first-ever paid gig alongside her mother at a Viking-themed restaurant in Reykjavík, Iceland.
Talking about her learning days she says “I was a pain as a student. I always had a really hard time being told how music should be, that there was a right and a wrong. It was very unnatural to me. I had this theory that the less I practiced the better I was.” She laughs. “I can confirm that it was not true.”
- Apart from all the commercial film and television work, Hildur has released four solo albums in her masterly career. She let out her first solo album in 2006, under the name “Mount A – Lost In Hildurness.” (2006) The album characterizes a dark ambient soundscape in which instruments like cello, gamba, khuur, piano, zither, vibraphone and gamelan have been put to use. The other three albums are Without Sinking (2009), Leyfðu Ljósinu (2012) and Saman (2014). All of her albums are released under “Touch” label (the British audio-visual organisation)
- Hildur has performed live and recorded music with the bands – Throbbing Gristle, Pan Sonic, Múm, Stórsveit Nix Noltes, Animal Collective, and Sunn O))).
Though Hilder is a versatile composer but, the point that can be perceived by listening to Hildur’s work is that she has seemed to always be allured to darker narratives more than the lighter ones. To which she says “every person has a dark side and a light side; the darkness has to come out somewhere. My dark side seems to want to come out through music.”
- Laurie Anderson, Meredith Monk, and Pauline Oliveros are some of Hilder’s favorite musicians and composers.
- It is not known to many people that Hildur’s husband Sam Slater ( an English composer, music producer and sound artist) has also produced a part of scores in her industry-shaking tracks for films – “Chernobyl” & “Joker”. Apart from these, She has also collaborated with him in many other of her projects.
- Hildur Guðnadóttir is the first solo woman ever to win a Grammy for “Best Original Score”.
- Hildur currently lives in Berlin, Germany, with her husband Sam Slater and her 7-year-old son.