Rick Pitino Height, Weight, Age, Controversies, Family, Biography & More
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rick Pitino
- Does Rick Pitino smoke?: Not Known
- Does Rick Pitino drink alcohol?: Yes
- He was born in New York City and was raised in Bayville, New York.
- He was the captain of the Basketball Team at his school St. Dominic High School in Oyster Bay, Long Island.
- In 1970, Pitino enrolled at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Pitino was a standout guard for the Minutemen Basketball Team.
- In 1974, after college, Pitino took up a job as a Graduate Assistant at the University of Hawaii, and within a year, he moved up to become a full-time Assistant.
- During the 1975-76 season, he served as Hawaii’s interim Head Coach.
- In 1978, the Boston University hired Pitino as the Head Coach. Prior to his arrival, the Boston University’s Team was lagging behind. However, during the tenure of Rick Pitino as its Head Coach, the team made its first NCAA appearance in 24 years.
- After Boston, Pitino served as an Assistant Coach with the New York Knicks under Hubie Brown (season 1983-85).
- In 1985, Rick Pitino became the head coach at Providence College. Before the arrival of Pitino, this team was also performing miserably. Within two years, Pitino led them to the Final Four.
- In 1989, he joined Kentucky as its Head Coach. Pitino worked hard to earn team’s reputation, which was lost due to a scandal under its former Coach- Eddie Sutton. Pitino led them to the Final Four in the 1993 NCAA Tournament. In 1996, Pitino also helped them win a national title in the 1996 NCAA Tournament.
- In 1997, Rick Pitino went to NBA, and in 2001, took up the task of coaching at the University of Louisville. Pitino led the Team to the Final Four, their 1st ever in 19 years.
- In 2010, The Puerto Rico Basketball Federation appointed Pitino as the next Head Coach for Puerto Rico’s Olympic Team. However, due to NCAA regulations, he could not take up this assignment.
- Rick Pitino is also a professional writer and has authored several books including a motivational self-help book titled- “Success is a Choice.”