Beverly Cleary Age, Husband, Family, Biography, Facts & More
Some Lesser Known Facts About Beverly Cleary
- Does Beverly Cleary smoke?: No
- Does Beverly Cleary drink alcohol?: No
- She was raised on a farm in Yamhill, and this small town didn’t have a library.
- She learned to read correctly when she was in the third grade.
- Beverly discovered her interest in writing after her teacher suggested and provoked her to do so.
- Later, it became her goal to write books, but initially, she worked as a children’s librarian in Yakima, Washington.
- She did her B.A. in English from the University of California and then a degree in library science from the University of Washington.
- She fell in love with Clarence Cleary, her college-mate.
- Her parents didn’t approve of their relationship because the boy was Roman- Catholic and they were Presbyterian.
- Finally, after passing so many hurdles, the couple tied their knot on October 6, 1940.
- She used to have a peculiar habit of baking bread while writing her books.
- Her books are an international seller.
- There are statues of most of the Beverly Cleary’s characters in Oregon’s Grant Park, Portland.
- In honor of Beverly Cleary’s birthday, April 12th is recognized as D.E.A.R. Day by the publisher Harper Collins, which means Drop Everything and Read Day.
- She talked about the greatest joy she has received from writing books and many more exciting things about her writings in an interview conducted by Barbara Lalicki. Here’s a clipping of it:
- She believes that the best way to attract a reader is to write as simple as you can.
- On April 12, 2016, on becoming a centenarian, she talked about her lifetime memories and achievements in an interview :
Its very detailed and specific I really like it and it has a lot of information that are useful!