Some Lesser Known Facts About Sanna Marin
- Sanna Marin is a Finnish politician who serves as the Prime Minister of Finland. At the age of 34, she is the youngest person in the world to become the Prime Minister of a country.
- Her parents had separated during Sanna’s early years, and she was raised by a single mother, who later entered a same-sex relationship. Her family faced financial problems, and they used to live in a rented apartment.
- She is the first person from her family who has completed her high-school education and has attended college.
Sanna Marin during her younger days
- When she was 15 years old, she used to work in a bakery and distribute magazines for pocket-money.
- She often states that she comes from a rainbow family; as her parents are of the same-sex. She also attends pride parades regularly.
Sanna Marin with her daughter Emma attending a pride parade in Helsinki
- Once, during an interview, she said that when she was a child, she felt discriminated against; as her mother was in a relationship with another woman. She also said-
As a child, I felt uncomfortable talking about my family due to my unconventional family as I had same-sex parents. The silence was the hardest. Invisibility caused a feeling of incompetence. We were not recognized as a true family or equal to others. But I wasn’t much bullied. Even when I was little, I was very candid and stubborn. I wouldn’t have taken anything easy.”
- She has always voiced her opinion about equality, and she has also fought for equality through many campaigns. Once, in an interview, she said-
For me, people have always been equal.”
- She started her political career at the age of 27, and within 7 years, she has ascended to the top political post of Finland.
- She works towards many social and environmental issues. She has been primarily working towards reducing carbon emissions after taking charge as the Minister of Transportation.
Sanna Marin in the Parliament of Finland
- She is very active on social media, and she regularly shares updates from her life on the popular social media platform, Instagram. People like her on Instagram; as they relate to her simple life and how she leads a relatively normal life.
Sanna Marin posing with a big heart on Valentines Day in the Parliament of Finland
- Sanna Marin is Finland’s third female Prime Minister.
Sanna Marin addressing the press for the first time after becoming the Prime Minister of Finland
- Marin was appointed as the Prime Minister after Antti Rinne, the former Prime Minister of Finland, stepped down after a key coalition partner, the Centre Party, had withdrawn its support; citing lack of trust and confidence following his handling of a postal strike in November 2019.
Sanna Marin with former Finland Prime Minister Antti Rinne
- On December 8, 2019, Finland’s Social Democrats elected Marin to lead the coalition government.
- She will be heading a five-party center-left coalition. Her party was the largest party of the coalition which got the majority in the Parliament of Finland with the support of the Center Party, the Greens, the Left Alliance, and the Swedish People’s Party.
- On 10 December 2019, she was sworn-in as the Prime Minister by Finland’s President, Sauli Niinisto.
Sanna Marin with the President of Finland Sauli Niinisto after taking oath as the Prime Minister of Finland
- Marin will be the Prime Minister of Finland only for 5 months, till the General Elections of Finland in April 2020. She will be leading a five-party coalition, all of which are headed by women, and four of which are headed by women under the age of 35.
Sanna Marin (top left) and the other leaders of the coalition government
- When Marin was elected as the Prime Minister, many news publications stated it as-
A significant and symbolic of the rise of a new generation of politicians in the Nordic nation, which has had strong female representation for decades”
- After becoming the PM, she appointed her cabinet which primarily consisted of women.
Sanna Marin (center) with her cabinet ministers
- Within a week of getting elected, she attended the Europian Union (EU) Summit in Brussels, Belgium. Reportedly, she made a significant impact there, and she was noticed and appreciated by many world leaders who attended the summit.
Sanna Marin at the EU Summit
- Emmy Rossum Height, Weight, Age, Affairs, Husband, Family, Biography & More
- Elisabeth Sue, Height, Weight, Age, Family, Facts & More
- Jimmy Garoppolo Height, Weight, Age, Girlfriends, Family, Biography & More
- Fabio Porchat (Porta dos Fundos) Age, Wife, Family, Biography & More
- Gemma Atkinson Height, Weight, Age, Boyfriends, Family, Biography & More
- Lolita Séchan Age, Boyfriend, Husband, Family, Biography & More
- Wagner Moura Height, Weight, Age, Wife, Children, Biography & More
- Frank Kern Height, Weight, Age, Net Worth, Facts & More
- Debbie McGee Age, Family, Husband, Chhildren, Biography & More
- Bryce Dallas Howard Height, Weight, Age, Boyfriends, Husband, Biography, & More