Mckayla Maroney Height, Weight, Age, Biography, Family, Facts, Net Worth & More
Some Lesser Known Facts About McKayla Maroney
- Does McKayla Maroney smoke?: Not Known
- Does McKayla Maroney drink alcohol?: Not Known
- When she was growing up, she used to watch an animated film, Tarzan. She was inspired by the movie Tarzan to be a gymnast.
- Her mother wanted her to be a gymnast. So, she was homeschooled and trained for the Gymnastics.
- When she was only 13 years old, she performed at Visa Championship in Dallas, Texas.
- In 2010, she took part in the Pan American Championships in Mexico and contributed a vault score of 15.933, a balance beam score of 13.866, a floor score of 14.500 and helped her team reach the first spot.
- While performing her vault at the 2012 London Olympics, she performed Amanar at her first vault but at the second, she fell and consoled herself with the silver medal. After getting silver, she was photographed giving a brief disappointment look with her lips pouted on one side. That image went viral and became an Internet Phenomenon and Tumblr called it, “McKayla Maroney is not impressed.”
- Before the Summer Olympics 2012, she sustained a fall during a practice session in June 2012 and broke her toe of the right leg and fractured a shin. According to Maroney, the toe injury was so serious that it was technically a broken foot. During a surgery after the Olympics, she was told, “You probably will never wear heels again, let alone do gymnastics.”
- Just after the Olympics 2012, Maroney got injured badly during an uneven bar dismount at the Kellogg’s tour in Ontario, California. An MRI disclosed that she bruised the tibia of her left leg. On September 13, 2012, she got two screws inserted in order to get the tibia recovered. However, she appeared at the finale of the tour at the VIP meet and greeted the session after the event.
- On January 12, 2013, she served as one of the judges for the Miss America Pageant.
- Maroney appeared in the music video, “Up in the Air” of the music band, “Thirty Seconds to Mars.”
- On March 6, 2014, Maroney underwent knee surgery. She said that she was suffering from burnout and depression as well. In 2015, she returned to training but she could not perform as she used to.
- In March 2015, she said in a YouTube video that she struggled with adrenal fatigue after the 2013 World Championships.
- On February 24, 2016, due to her health reasons, she announced her retirement from competitive gymnastics.
- In October 2018, she alleged that the USA gymnastics doctor, Larry Nassar repeatedly assaulted her sexually. Since the age of 13, she was being molested. Maroney came forward with her story under the #Me Too campaign on Twitter. In November 2016, Nassar was arrested and accused of molesting a minor throughout her career. He was found convicted and sentenced to 40 years to 175 years in prison. In December 2016, Maroney lodged a complaint against Michigan State University, the United States Olympic Committee, and the USA Gymnastics. The latter two were accused of covering up sexual abuse by asking Maroney to sign a $1.25 million confidential deal. Maroney had to agree and sign.
- On May 16, 2018, It was announced that the victims of Larry Nassar’s sexual abuse would be awarded the Arthur Ashe Courage Award. Washington Post
- McKayla is the tallest young lady on the US ladies’ tumbling group.
- She once told a kid that she would become excessively taller with age, making it impossible to contend at the world-class level, due to heredity as her father is 6’3″. Fortunately, Maroney got her height trait from her mother, who is only 5’2″.