Fidel Castro Díaz-Balart Age, Death Cause, Wife, Children, Family, Biography, Facts & More
Some Lesser Known Facts About Fidel Castro Díaz-Balart
- Did Fidel Castro Díaz-Balart smoke?: Yes
- Did Fidel Castro Díaz-Balart drink alcohol?: Yes
- He was born as the eldest son of the great Cuban leader Fidel Castro and his first wife Mirta Diaz-Balart.
- He was born in 1949, 10 years before his father Fidel Castro led the revolution that created the Communist State in Cuba.
- His mother, Mirta Diaz-Balart was the daughter of a prominent pre-revolution politician.
- After his parents divorced, Fidel Castro Díaz-Balart went to live with his mother’s family in the United States. However, while on a visit to his father in Mexico in 1955, Fidel Castro took over his custody from his mother and refused to allow him to return to his mother.
- He was the most educated of Fidel Castro’s children and became a prominent Cuban Nuclear Scientist and an Adviser to the Council of the State of Cuba.
- He had also headed Cuba’s national nuclear programme. However, when in 1992, plans for a nuclear plant were dropped because of a lack of funding, Fidel Castro Díaz-Balart largely withdrew from public life.
- His cousin Mario Díaz-Balart is a staunch critic of the Cuban government and a Republican congressman in Florida.
- In 2015, he was seen alongside model Naomi Campbell and socialite Paris Hilton at a lavish cigar party in Havana.
- On February 1, 2018, Cuban state-run media announced that he had committed suicide at the age of 68 following a long period of hospital treatment for depression.
- Here’s a conversation with Fidel Castro Díaz-Balart: